The Panasonic Lumix GF6 mirrorless camera is currently the most compact model in the Panasonic Lumix G series lineup of Four Thirds format interchangeable lens digital cameras.
Aimed at a wide audience, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 offers both fully automatic operation for ease of use, or manual override including a broad range of advanced features to allow for greater creative control.
The Lumix GF6 incorporates a 16 megapixel Live MOS Sensor in the Four Thirds format, larger than the sensors found in typical compact cameras and high-end smartphone cameras. In comparison to these devices, the Panasonic Lumix GF6 mirrorless camera’s larger sensor size allows for the capture of added detail, enhanced image quality and low light performance (up to 25,600 extended ISO available). The larger sensor size also provides for the ability to trim down and crop a full size image, while still maintaining decent quality in the final shot.
The Panasonic Lumix GF6 mirrorless interchangeable lens camera primary features include; fast autofocus and fast start-up to help in capturing the action as it happens, a high-resolution 3-inch LCD monitor with wide viewing angle and 180-degree tilt, allowing for high or low angle shooting and supporting the camera’s new Self-Shot mode.
With the simple touch of a button on the top of the Panasonic Lumix GF6, you can easily start recording high quality 1920 x 1080 resolution full HD videos (60i) supported by full-time Auto Focus and high quality stereo sound in the AVCHD format. Videos can also be recorded in MP4 format (30fps) for playback on a PC or other portable electronic devices without having to convert the files.
The Panasonic GF6 mirrorless camera integrates Wi-Fi® connectivity (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n) with NFC (Near Field Communication) technology to offer a more flexible shooting experience and instant image sharing with compatible smartphones and tablets. The free Panasonic Image App for iOS / Android smartphones and tablets is required.
Photographers can also connect their Panasonic Lumix GF6 mirrorless camera with a smartphone or tablet that supports NFC by just bumping them together. What is new is that the setup is extremely quick and easy, making it possible to pair the camera directly to the smartphone or tablet without going through any connection procedures to authorize information inputs.
Remote shooting of both photo and video is available by using the smartphone or tablet as a remote shutter. Not only the shutter release, but zooming, focusing and setting the shutter speed, aperture, and exposure compensation are all controllable with a compatible smartphone or tablet running the app.
The Panasonic Lumix GF6 mirrorless camera is available in a kit with the LUMIX G VARIO 14–42mm (35mm equivalent: 28–84 mm) f/3.5-4.5 optical image stabilized standard zoom lens, for a manufacturer’s recommended retail price of $599.95 (Canada).
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Camera: Major Features
• 16 Megapixel Live MOS Sensor: the Lumix DMC-GF6 features a new 16MP Live MOS sensor and incorporates a redesigned Venus Engine to make clear, crisp images in both photo and video recording.
• 3-inch, 1,040K-dot, Touch LCD with Tiltable (180°) monitor: the LCD tilts 180 degrees up and down and offers approximately 100 percent field of view. Touch screen operation on the LCD screen allows for simple shooting or playback of images.
With the new Self Shot mode, you can shoot your own portraits by stretching your arm while holding the camera with the monitor flipped approx.180° vertically to compose the frame properly.
• Full 1080p HD Movie Recording with Stereo Sound: the Lumix DMC-GF6 records 1920 x 1080 full HD videos (60i) with full-time AF and high quality stereo sound in the AVCHD format. Videos can also be recorded in MP4 format (30fps) for playback on a PC or other portable electronic devices without having to convert the files.
The camera’s built-in stereo microphone features a zoom noise reduction system, and the Auto Wind Cut function blocks out most of the noise produced by background wind.
A dedicated video record button on the top of the camera allows you to instantly start recording videos while shooting photos without having to make any extra setting adjustments.
• Touch Control (LCD): the touch-control system built in to the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 lets users set the focus on the subject by simply touching it on the large, wide-viewing angle LCD. Users can even release the shutter by touching the screen. Once locked on the subject with a touch, the Panasonic GF6 tracks the subject, even when it moves, using the camera’s AF tracking function.
• Still image capture during HD movie recording: while shooting an HD video, simply press / touch the shutter button and the camera will shoot a photo with 12-megapixel high resolution as it continues to record your video*. This makes sure that you don’t miss those decisive moments with either photos or videos, or both.
* The picture aspect ratio will be fixed to 16:9.
• Manual exposure control P/A/S/M: manual exposure override settings are available for both still and movie recording providing added creative control.
• Intelligent Auto (iA) Mode: the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 mirrorless digital camera offers simple point and shoot ease of use when set to full automatic iA mode. Ideal for beginners.
• Easy Share Wi-Fi function: users can instantly upload and share your images on an SNS (Social Networking Service) using the free “Panasonic Image App” on a smartphone or tablet. It is possible to remote control the camera using your compatible device, and there is a Auto transfer function for easy archiving. Wireless TV playback is also available in conjunction with a DLNA compliant Panasonic VIERA HDTV.
• One Touch Connection and Picture Sharing with NFC: with NFC (Near Field Communication) technology, you can connect the camera with a smartphone / tablet by just bringing them together. Requires a NFC compatible device.
• Auto ISO or Manual override to 25,600 ISO extended: the Panasonic Lumix GF6 mirrorless camera offers a wide ISO range from 160 – 25,600 ISO extended. ISO can be controlled in 1/3 steps.
Suited for beginners, the Panasonic Lumix GF6 also features an Auto ISO setting that lets the camera automatically determine the most suitable ISO setting (up to 3200 ISO) based on the scene at hand.
• Improved Autofocus (AF) Performance: The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 incorporates a fast AF system, and also offers tracking AF during video recording. A new low light AF mode is designed to enhance the camera’s low light autofocus performance.
• 4.2 fps full resolution consecutive shooting: the Lumix DMC-GF6 lets you snap off unlimited consecutive shots at approx. 4.2 fps with full resolution or 3 fps / 2 fps even when using the Full-time Live View.
• Built-In Pop Up Flash in spite of its compact size, the Panasonic DMC-GF6 comes equipped with a built-in flash, and offers an output that is equivalent to a guide number of 5 (ISO 100 in m).
• Stop Motion Animation Mode: stop motion (also known as stop frame) is an animation technique to make a physically manipulated object appear to move on its own. The object is moved in small increments between individually photographed frames, creating the illusion of movement when the series of frames is played as a continuous sequence.
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 automatically integrates the captured images into a completed Stop Motion Animation when this mode is selected.
• HDR (High dynamic range): Several still images are captured consecutively at different exposure levels and combined with in-camera processing to produce a single composite picture without whiteout (over-exposure) or blackout (under-exposure).
• Creative control with 19 filter effects: the Lumix DMC-GF6 digital camera incorporates a total of 19 creative control filters, that allow users to creatively manipulate their images to suit the desired effect. Newly added filters include; Old Days, Sunshine, Bleach Bypass, Toy Pop, and Fantasy mode.
• Creative panorama: the Lumix GF6 features a new Creative Panorama function that allows users to shoot a horizontal / vertical panoramic image with one of 15 available filter effects applied.
• Clear Retouch: this feature makes it possible to erase unwanted objects or figures in an image by just tracing over them on the camera’s LCD monitor with a fingertip. They naturally disappear without destroying the image.
• Dust Reduction System a supersonic wave filter protects the image sensor from dust. Vibrating vertically around 80,000 times per second, the filter repels dust and other particles to help keep the sensor clean.
Panasonic Lumix GF6 Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera: Press Release
MISSISSAUGA, ON (April 25, 2013) – Inc. is proud to introduce the Panasonic Lumix GF6 mirrorless camera, a new Digital Interchangeable Lens Camera which is the most compact of the LUMIX G family. The new 16-megapixel Live MOS Sensor achieves both high-resolution and high sensitivity image and video recording. The Venus Engine was also newly developed for the GF6 to attain both high-performance signal processing and noise reduction, achieving a maximum ISO 25,600 (Extended) making the most of the new sensor.
The Pansonic Lumix GF6 mirrorless camera is more than an interchangeable lens camera, providing plenty of features including the new Self Shot, Creative Panorama, and Stop Motion Animation, in addition to the popular Creative Control mode that offers 19 special filter effects. Stop Motion Animation delivers unique stop motion video while the Clear Retouch function gives you the power to erase unwanted parts of a picture after shooting. Both of these functions occur automatically right in the camera
The GF6 boasts high-speed, high precision Light Speed AF (auto focus) including practical full-time AF, and tracking AF is available for video recording. The newly integrated Low Light AF enables accurate focusing on the subject even in low-light situations. It is ready to shoot in only 0.5 seconds after start-up, saving the end-user from missing a shooting opportunity.
The GF6 might just be the smartphone’s next BFF. With Wi-Fi® connectivity featuring NFC (Near Field Communication) technology, users can connect the camera to their smartphone/tablet anywhere with one-touch, which makes sharing images much easier. It is also possible to use a smartphone/tablet as a multi-capable remote shutter with a monitor. With the Instant Transfer function, photos are automatically sent to the smartphone/tablet immediately after shooting. In addition, both images and video can be archived to the user’s registered digital equipment, such as a PC, automatically via the wireless access point (router) at home.
The GF6 records 1920 x 1080 at 60i (60 Hz) full-HD video in AVCHD with high quality stereo sound. The P/A/S/M mode in video recording is also available for more expressive creation of motion picture footage. Despite its sleek, compact profile, the GF6 touts a built-in flash (GN6.3 ISO160･m / GN5.0 ISO100･m) and 3-inch large monitor that tilts approximately 180-degrees.
1. New 16.00-Megapixel Live MOS Sensor and Venus Engine for Superb Picture Quality
The GF6 integrates a new 16-megapixel Live MOS sensor which enables high resolution and high sensitivity image recording while minimizing noise. The image processor Venus Engine is also newly developed to feature advanced noise reduction systems so that every part of the image – from shadow to highlight – is faithfully reproduced.
2. Pursuing Even Higher Speed Response and Mobility
It takes only about 0.5 seconds to capture a photo after startup. Not only does the rear monitor have touch control but the layout of the device makes the camera control smooth and easy. With the Full-area Touch AF, it is possible to set focus on any point in the field of view which yields quick and intuitive focusing operation with free frame composition. In addition, the newly adopted Touch AE (Auto Exposure) function allows the user to set focus and exposure with a single touch on the subject displayed on the monitor.
3. A Variety of Shooting Functions for Artwork Creation
The GF6 is not just a high quality camera but an advanced photographic tool enhancing the shooting experience with a wide variety of options. With the new Self Shot mode, users can shoot their own portraits by stretching an arm to hold the camera with the rear monitor flipped approximately 180-degrees vertically to frame the shot properly. A variety of options such as Creative Control can be applied on this self-portrait as well.
The popular Creative Control mode is upgraded by increasing its filter option from 14 (for GF5) to 19 (for GF6). New filters including Old Days, Sunshine1, Bleach Bypass, Toy Pop and Fantasy are now available in addition to the conventional Expressive, Retro, High Key, Sepia, High Dynamic, Soft Focus, Dynamic Monochrome, Impressive Art, One Point Color, Cross Process, Low Key, Toy Effect and Star Filter and Miniature Effect modes.
The new Stop Motion Animation function allows users to produce a stop motion (stop frame) video in camera with pictures that are sequentially shot while moving the object by degrees. This effect makes the object appear as if it is moving by itself.
Another new in-camera function is Clear Retouch, which makes it possible to erase unwanted objects or figures in an image by just tracing over them on monitor with a fingertip. They naturally disappear without hurting the image.
4. Wireless Connectivity for One-Touch Picture Sharing & Remote Shooting via Wi-Fi® /NFC with Smartphones
The GF6 integrates Wi-Fi® connectivity (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n) with NFC (Near Field Communication) technology to offer a more flexible shooting experience and instant image sharing with compatible smartphones/tablets. All these flexible shooting/browsing/sharing styles are made possible with the GF6 and Panasonic’s dedicated application software Panasonic Image App for iOS/Android smartphones/tablets.
Users can connect the camera with a smartphone/tablet by just bumping them together. What is new is that the setup is extremely quick and easy, making it possible to pair the camera directly to the smartphone/tablet without going through any connection procedures to authorize information inputs.
Remote shooting of both photo and video is available by using the smartphone/tablet as a remote shutter with a monitor which displays live at a smooth 30 fps. Not only the shutter release, but zooming, focusing and setting the shutter speed, aperture, and exposure compensation are all controllable with a smartphone/tablet.
The Instant Transfer function allows the camera to transfer the photo data to the designated electronic device automatically when the shutter is released. In playback mode, users can also touch the image displayed on the camera to transfer it directly to the smartphone/tablet. In addition, it is possible to tag the location information to the image by utilizing the GPS (Global Positioning System) log of a smartphone/tablet.
Archiving images becomes easy. The GF6 transfers the data to PCs or other electronic devices automatically via the wireless access point (router) at home. Also, with Panasonic’s exclusive cloud service “LUMIX CLUB”, the GF6 can automatically synchronize images via internet with the designated devices and web services like Facebook™, Flickr™, Picasa™, Twitter™ or YouTube™.
The Wi-Fi Direct™ function allows direct playback of images on the DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) – compliant VIERA HDTV.
High Quality 1920 x 1080 Full-HD Video with Stereo Sound
The Panasonic Lumix GF6 records 1920 x 1080 at 60i (60 Hz) full HD video with full-time AF and high quality stereo sound in the AVCHD format which excels in both compression efficiency and compatibility with AV equipment for playback. With a dedicated video record button on the top, users can instantly start recording videos while shooting photos without having to make any extra setting adjustments. In addition, the P/A/S/M mode also lets users enjoy professional-like expressive video recording. Videos can also be recorded in MP4 format for playback on a PC or other portable electronic devices without having to convert the files.
– Maximum time to record motion pictures continuously with [MP4] is 29 minutes 59 seconds or up to 4 GB.
– You can check the recordable time on the screen. (For [FHD] in [MP4] format, the file size is large and so the recordable time will drop below 29 minutes 59 seconds.)
New 1040K-dot 180゜Tiltable Touch Monitor
The new large, approximately 1040K-dot high resolution monitor boasts about 100 per cent of field of view, and it tilts up roughly 180-degrees. The front panel is directly attached to the new In Cell Touch LCD without containing an air layer in between. The result is that the reflection of external light is dramatically suppressed. Together with an increase in resolution by 13 per cent and improved color reproduction by roughly 20 per cent, the monitor for GF6 offers greater visibility.
Advanced iA+ (Intelligent Auto Plus Mode) and Scene Guide for Beginners
For beginners with Digital Single Lens Mirrorless cameras, iA (Intelligent Auto) mode supports capturing images with a variety of shooting-assist functions including AF Tracking, Intelligent D-range Control, Intelligent Scene Selector, Face Recognition and Intelligent ISO Control. The Intelligent Scene Selector now integrates Food Recognition mode. It detects food on a dish and captures it so it looks colourful and delicious. The iA Plus mode lets users adjust the defocusing area in the background, exposure compensation and white balance for more flexible control.
The Scene Guide offers 23 sample pictures shot by professional photographers. Users can choose the one closest to the situation they are going to shoot and optimum parameters for shooting the scene will be automatically set. Furthermore, shooting procedures, technical advice and the recommended interchangeable lens for the scene are displayed for users to improve their photography.