Sony has released the Sony NEX 3N compact mirrorless interchangeable lens camera, currently the world’s smallest and lightest interchangeable lens camera with a large APS-C size sensor. The Sony NEX 3N is geared towards entry level, family and travel type of photography. The camera provides for simple automatic point and shoot operation when set to Auto mode, or users can take advantage of the manual override options (P,A,S,M) and custom settings for greater creative control.
The Sony NEX 3N compact mirrorless interchangeable lens camera offers a powerful feature set in a small package. Headline features of the Sony NEX 3N include; a large APS-C size 16 megapixel sensor that delivers a high level of image quality and enhanced low light performance, a 3-inch high resolution 180 degree tilt-able LCD screen for composing and reviewing images and movies, Full HD 1080/60i/24p or 1080/30p MP4 movie recording capability with stereo sound, and the camera offers up to 16,000 ISO high sensitivity settings for improved low light photography.
The Sony NEX 3N compact mirrorless interchangeable lens camera will sell for a manufacturer’s recommended retail price (MSRP) of $499.95 bundled with the Sony SEL 16-50mm Power Zoom OIS kit lens.
Sony NEX 3N Compact Mirrorless
Interchangeable Lens Camera Major Features
• 16.1 MP Exmor HD APS sensor: The Sony NEX 3N features a large 16.1-megapixel Exmor HD APS-C sensor — the same sensor format typically found in consumer DSLR cameras.
• Supports Sony Power Zoom Lenses: A new zoom lever on the body of the NEX 3N allows for effortless one-handed operation and smooth zooming with a lens like the Sony SEL1650 power zoom kit lens attached, even when shooting self-portraits.
• Full HD 1080/60i/24p or 1080/30p MP4 movies: Record video with a choice of 60i/24p Blu-Ray quality AVCHD™ format, or in a PC-friendly 1080/30p MP4 format, complete with stereo sound.
• 3-inch 180º tilt-able LCD Screen Compose and review still images and movies on the Sony NEX 3n’s 3-inch high resolution (460K dot) LCD monitor. The screen can be tilted upwards 180 degrees, suitable for self portrait and group shot framing.
• Up to 16,000 ISO Sensitivity: With a Sony Exmor sensor that features the same adaptive noise reduction technology from Sony’s flagship SLT-A99V digital SLR, the Sony NEX 3n offers a wide range of sensitivity from ISO 100 to ISO 16000.
• Built-in Auto Pop Up Flash: The Sony NEX 3N compact mirrorless interchangeable lens camera features a built-in pop-up flash suitable for close range, and fill flash photography (Guide number 6).
• Superior Auto Mode: Use Superior Auto mode to shoot photos and movies with the ease of a compact digital camera. In this mode, the camera recognizes the current shooting environment then adjusts settings for optimal results. Superior Auto also includes Auto HDR and Hand-held Twilight modes, both of which employ image compositing technology to handle difficult lighting by recording multiple images at high speed then compositing them to produce the final photo.
• Manual Creative Control (P,A,S,M): the Sony NEX 3n offers full manual exposure override, and a range of advanced features including peaking control for focus assist, histogram, variable metering, manual white balance settings and many more.
• Anti-Motion Blur mode: Corrects for subject movement to capture cleaner and sharper images in low light. The camera leverages its APS-C image sensor and captures six images in a fraction of a second. Combining the data from all six creates a single image that minimizes subject blur.
• Speed Priority Continuous mode: The Sony NEX 3n can freeze fast-moving subjects by shooting at up to 4 frames per second. Ideal for photographing sports, children at play or other action.
• Up to 480 shots per battery charge: The Sony NEX 3n compact mirrorless interchangeable lens camera comes supplied with a proprietary Li-Ion battery and charger. The battery is rated up to approximately 480 shots per charge.
Sony NEX 3N Compact Mirrorless
Interchangeable Lens Camera Press Release
Sony Canada Press Release: Sony’s new α NEX-3N digital camera delivers professional quality photos and Full HD videos in an ultra-compact body weighing in at just under 7.5 ounces, making it the world’s smallest and lightest interchangeable lens camera with an APS-C size sensor.
The new NEX-3N camera will be offered as a kit with the sharp, compact SELP1650 motorized zoom lens, offering the ultimate package of portability and performance in a compact system camera. The camera features a newly added zoom lever on top of the body, allowing for smooth fingertip control of lens focal length. The lever can also adjust digital zoom on the camera if a powered zoom lens (SELP1650 or SELP18200) is not being used.
The powerful, 16.1 effective megapixel APS HD CMOS sensor in the new NEX-3N camera is identical in size to those found in traditional DSLR cameras. Its large surface area takes in more light during image capture, allowing the camera to produce flawless, low-noise photographs with blurred backgrounds and highly detailed full HD videos (60i/24p). It also boosts maximum camera sensitivity to ISO16000, resulting in exceptional low-light shooting performance.
“The new NEX-3N is the ideal camera to introduce consumers to the creative world of interchangeable lens photography, offering new levels of performance and convenience never before realized in a mirrorless model,” said Masayuki Yao, director of the Alpha business at Sony Canada. “By pairing the camera with our retractable SELP1650 lens, loading it up with a host of our newest, most advanced technologies and offering it at a great price point, we’ve created a palm-sized powerhouse that promisesoutstandingvalue for our customers.”
The NEX-3N camera debuts new Auto Object Framing technology, which allows shooters to create professionally framed photos with each composition. This innovative feature identifies the main object of the framed scene – whether it’s one person, two people or even macro and moving subjects – and then automatically trims the scene around the object to create a professionally-styled composition. The cropped photo is then boosted to full resolution using Sony’s unique By Pixel Super Resolution technology, which uses pattern matching to maintain superb image detail, tones and textures. Both the original and cropped image files are saved for review.
Additionally, the NEX-3N model is built with an evolved BIONZ processor that utilizes the same area-specific noise reduction technology featured on Sony’s acclaimed full-frame α99 camera. The high-power processor individually adjusts level of noise reduction and sharpness in different imaging areas, assuring crisp, ultra-low noise handheld shots in all types of lighting situations without loss of detail.
The NEX-3N is also the first E-mount interchangeable lens camera from Sony that offers support for new “TRILUMINOS Color”. This allows consumers to experience a dramatically expanded palette of vivid, ultra-realistic colors when videos and still images from the camera are played back on any BRAVIA TV with support for “TRILUMINOS Display”.
Other convenient essentials include a crisp, bright, 3-inch type LCD screen that flips 180 degrees for hassle-free self-portraits, as well as a new, easy-to-hold textured grip.
Shooters can now choose from a range of 13 high-quality E-mount lenses available for use with the NEX-3N camera to realize its full creative potential. The line-up includes a variety of telephoto, zoom, wide angle, and macro lenses manufactured by both Sony and Carl Zeiss® to suit any shooting situation. Each model blends superb optical performance with elegant styling to complement the E-mount camera line.
Sony NEX 3N Compact Mirrorless
Interchangeable Lens Camera Specifications
|Image Sensor||Exmor™ APS HD CMOS sensor (23.5 X 15.6mm)|
|Effective Resolution||Approx. 16.1 megapixels|
|Still Image Size||16:9Still Image Size 16:9 : L (14 MP) 4912 x 2760, M (7.1 MP) 3568 x 2000, S (3.4 MP) 2448 x 1376|
Still Image Size 3:2 : L (16 MP) 4912 x 3264, M (8.4 MP) 3568 x 2368, S (4 MP) 2448 x 1624
Panorama Still Image Size : Horizontal Wide: 12,416 x 1,856 (23M) Horizontal Std.: 8,192 x 1,856 (15M) Vertical Wide: 2,160 x 5,536 (12M) Vertical Std.: 2,160 x 3,872 (8.4M)
|Focal Range Conversion||1.5x|
|Optical Image Stabilization Available||Selected E-mount lenses incorporate Optical SteadyShot® image stabilization to combat the effects of camera shake. Building stabilization into the lenses enables the camera body to be remarkably thin and light.|
|Dust-Reduction||Charge protection coating on Low-Pass Filter and electromagnetic vibration mechanism|
|LCD Monitor||3-inch TFT LCD (460,800 dots)|
Angle Adjustment: Tilt angle: Up: 180 degrees; Down: Approx. 13 degrees
Brightness Control: Auto, Manual (5 steps between -2 to +2)
Live View: Continuous Live View
Real-time image adjustment display: Yes(On/Off)
Histogram: Yes (On/Off)
Peaking : Yes (Level setting: High/Mid/Low/Off, Color: White/Red/Yellow)
Grid Display: Yes (Rule of Thirds, Square Grid, Diagonal + Square Grid, Off)
Customization: Grid, Histogram display, Grid Line, Magnified display for playback
|Exposure Settings||iAUTO, Superior Auto, Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter-speed priority (S), Manual (M), Sweep Panorama, Scene Selection|
|Scene Modes||Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Sports Action, Sunset, Night Portrait, Night View, Hand-held Twilight, Anti Motion Blur|
|Exposure Compensation||Still images: +/-3.0 EV(1/3EV steps selectable) Movies: +/-2.0 EV(1/3EV steps selectable)|
|Exposure Bracketing||3 continuous or single shots in 1/3 or 2/3 EV steps|
|Auto Exposure Lock||Yes (AE Lock button). Can be disabled from menu|
|Metering||Advanced 1200-zone evaluative metering|
|Metering Modes||Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot|
|Exposure Metering Sensitivity||0EV-20EV, (at ISO 100 equivalent w/ f/2.8 lens)|
|Picture Effects||11 modes (15 effects): Posterization (Color, B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R,G,B,Y), High Contrast Mono, Toy Camera, Soft High-key, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Mono, Miniature|
|Creative Style||Standard, Vivid, Portrait , Landscape, Sunset, Black & White (Contrast (-3 to +3steps), Saturation(-3 to +3steps), Sharpness(-3 to +3steps)|
|ISO Settings||Stills: ISO 100-16000 selectable in 1 EV steps, Auto (100-3200) Movies: ISO 100-3200 selectable in 1 EV steps, Auto (200-3200)|
|D-Range Optimizer||Yes: (Auto, Level, Off)|
|Auto High Dynamic Range||Yes, (Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure difference Level (1-6 EV at 1.0 EV step), off)|
|Noise Reduction||Long Exposure NR: (On/Off, available at shutter speeds longer than 1 second) High ISO NR: (High/Normal/Low)|
|White Balance Settings||Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Flash, Color temperature range 2500 to 9900K, Custom|
|Focus System||Contrast-detect AF|
Focus Points: 25 points
AF Modes: Single-shot AF(AF-S), Continuous AF(AF-C), Auto Focus, Direct Manual Focus (DMF), Manual Focus
Focus Area: Multi Point (25 points)/ Center-weighted/ Flexible Spot
Focus Sensitivity: EV 0 to 20 EV (at ISO100 equivalent, with F2.8 lens attached)
Focus Features: Predictive control (AF-A, AF-C), Focus Lock
AF Illuminator: Built-in LED, Range: approx. 3′ 4” – 9′ 9” (0.3m-3.0m)
|Face Detection AF||On, Off, Face Registration, Face Selection; maximum eight faces detected|
|Smile Shutter™ technology||Smile shutter (selectable from 3 steps)|
|Continuous Shooting|| JPEG Standard (9 shots) JPEG Fine (9 shots) RAW (5 shots) RAW+JPEG (4 shots)|
Continuous mode: 2.5 fps, Speed Priority Continuous mode: 4 fps
|Drive Mode||Single-shot, Continuous, Speed Priority Continuous, Self-timer (10/2 sec. delay), Self-timer (Cont.) (with 10 sec. delay; 3/5 exposures), Bracketing|
|Sweep Panorama Mode||Horizontal (Wide/Standard), Vertical (Wide/Standard)|
|Still Image File Format||JPEG (Standard, Fine), RAW, RAW+JPEG|
|Video Format||AVCHD Ver. 2.0 (Progressive), AVCHD, MP4|
|Movie Recording File Type|
HD – 1440 x 1080/ 30p@12Mbps
|Audio Recording||Dolby Digital (AC-3) / MPEG-4 AAC-LC|
Microphone/Speaker : Built-in Stereo Microphone
|Pop-up Flash||Flash Bracketing: ±2.0 EV|
Flash Compensation: ±2.0 EV (switchable between 1/3 EV steps)
Flash Coverage: 16 mm (focal length printed on lens body)
Flash Metering System: Pre-flash TTL
Flash Modes: Flash off, Auto flash, Fill-flash, Slow Sync., Rear Sync.
Flash Type: Built-in, Pop-up Auto
Guide Number: 6 (in meters at ISO200) 4 (in meters at ISO100)
Recycling Time: Approx. 3 sec.
|Memory Card Type||Dual compatibility slot: Memory Stick PRO Duo™/Pro-HG Duo™/PRO-HG HX Duo™ media – SD, SDHC and SDXC memory card|
|Interface||HD Output: HDMI® (Type C mini), BRAVIA Sync, Photo TV HD, USB 2.0|
|Battery System||InfoLITHIUM® NP-FW50 (7.2V)|
Approx. 480 images (LCD screen) (CIPA standard)
|Supplied Accessories with the Sony NEX 3N|| • USB cable (Mini B)|
• Lens cap
• NP-FW50 Lithium ion rechargeable battery
• AC-UB10 AC adaptor
• Shoulder strap
|Dimensions||109.9 x 62 x 34.6 mm (W/H/D)|