Sony has announced the Sony NEX-6 mirrorless interchangeable lens compact camera, a step up from the recently announced Sony NEX-5r. The Sony NEX-6 mirrorless compact camera shares many similar features to the Sony NEX-5r, including offering the same 16MP APS-C type sensor, and incorporating the same newly developed hybrid AF system that employs both Phase detection auto focus for quick response (ideal when tracking fast-moving subjects), and contrast-detection AF for added precision (still, macro etc.)
Like the Sony NEX-5r, the Sony NEX-6 mirrorless camera also incorporates Wi-Fi capability allowing for sharing, viewing and saving of photos for expanded photo-shooting enjoyment. The Sony NEX-6 compact camera’s Wi-Fi capability lets you transfer photos directly to smartphones and tablets with the PlayMemories Mobile™ app.
What sets the new model apart from the Sony NEX-5r, is that the Sony NEX-6 features a high resolution OLED viewfinder (like the Sony NEX-7), offers a mode control dial, and is the first NEX series camera to feature Sony’s popular Quick Navi interactive control panel and an ISO-standard hotshoe. The Sony NEX-6 offers a 3-inch tilt-able LCD monitor with 921K dot resolution.
Geared towards enthusiast photographers, the Sony NEX-6 will be available this November and sold as a body only for about $850 or in a kit configuration with a newly announced compact Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS power zoom lens for about $1000.
• Sony NEX-6 Mirrorless Compact Camera Specifications
• Sony NEX-6 Interchangeable Lens Compact Camera Press Release
• Check the latest US street price on the Sony NEX-6 from Amazon
Sony NEX-6 Interchangeable Lens Compact Camera
• 16.1MP APS-C size HD image sensor: The 16.1MP APS-C size HD image sensor is the same sensor format that Sony builds into their full-sized DSLR cameras. With 13 times the area of the typical point-and-shoot image sensor, Sony’s APS-C sensor size delivers high resolution, high sensitivity and gorgeous, blurred backgrounds.
• Fast Hybrid AF: Sony’s advanced Fast Hybrid AF combines two technologies for enhanced performance: Phase detection auto focus for quick response that is ideal when tracking fast-moving subjects and contrast-detection auto focus when added precision s required.
• XGA Tru-Finder™ OLED: This eye-level, through-the-lens, viewfinder begins with 2359K dots for amazing resolution and high contrast ratio for incredible depth. OLED reduces motion blur to a bare minimum. You can also see the results of camera adjustments in real time with superb color and detail.
• Tiltable 3-inch LCD Monitor: The Sony NEX-6 compact interchangeable lens camera is equipped with a 3-inch tilt-able (up: approx. 90 degrees, down: approx. 45 degrees) LCD screen with 921K dot resolution and wide viewing angle.
• Full HD Movies at 60p/60i/24p: Capture HD Movies in your choice of high quality 60p, standard 60i or cinematic 24p, all at Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution.
• Wi-Fi® Sharing: Wi-Fi® capability – a first for Alpha-series – lets users transfer photos directly to smartphones and tablets with the PlayMemories Mobile™ app. Wi-Fi capability allows for sharing, viewing and saving photos for expanded photo-shooting enjoyment. Photos from the Sony NEX-6 mirrorless camera can be easily transferred to smartphones and tablets, viewed on large screen TVs or saved to PC’s.
• PlayMemories Camera Apps: The Sony NEX-6 camera supports PlayMemories Camera Apps, the world’s first application download service that lets users install new camera functions as needed
• Control Dial: A Mode control dial and Quick Navi settings menu makes the Sony NEX-6 easy and fast to use.
• New Multi-Interface Shoe: Unlike conventional cameras, the NEX-6 features a newly developed Multi-Interface Shoe that dramatically expands compatibility with Handycam® accessories, thus raising the potential for photo/movie shooting.
• Enhanced Tracking Focus: Tracking Focus continuously tracks a user-designated subject and is now more effective at tracking people. If the subject turns away from the camera, face-detection tracking automatically switches to subject tracking and continues tracking.
• Face Detection technology: The camera can automatically detect up to eight individual faces and adjust focus, exposure, white balance and flash to help deliver crisp, properly lit images of family and friends. Can prioritize children or adults.
• Built-in GN6 Pop-up Flash: A built-in Guide Number 6 flash is located on top of the camera. It is ideal for shooting in dimly lit settings and can be used as a fill flash when shooting in bright sunshine or to produce catch lights in portraits. The flash combines with ultra-high ISO 2500 and a large APS-C HD CMOS sensor for stunningly beautiful low-light photos.
• Sweep Panorama™ Technology: Capture expansive landscapes automatically. Press the shutter, sweep vertically or horizontally. The camera does the rest, continuously shooting images and stitching them together. Up to 23 MP image size. Up to 202 degrees maximum sweep angle (18mm focal length).
• D-Range Optimizer (DRO): Improves results with backlit subjects and recovers details hidden in shadows. Settings include Auto, Level with a choice of five operating levels and Off.
• 6-image layering: The Sony NEX 6 compact camera leverages the large, APS-C image sensor and captures six images in a fraction of a second. The camera then combines the data from the 6 different images up to ISO 25600 to create a single image. This method is used to control blur in Anti-Motion Blur mode or to get cleaner, sharper nighttime pictures in Hand-held Twilight mode.
• Anti-Dust Technology: Dust spots on the image sensor leads to blemishes in the picture. To protect the sensor, Sony incorporates an advanced ultrasonic system, which effectively shakes dust off the sensor surface.
Sony NEX-6 Interchangeable Lens Camera Press Release
SAN DIEGO, Sept 12, 2012 – With a brand new, sleek design and enhanced control capabilities, the new Sony NEX-6 camera packs all the imaging power, shooting responsiveness, handling and operability of a DSLR into a pocket-sized mirrorless camera.
The newest addition to Sony’s acclaimed E-mount camera line-up includes Fast Hybrid AF, Wi-Fi capabilities and the Play Memories Camera Apps™ platform recently introduced on Sony’s new NEX-5R model, as well as the same high-resolution XGA OLED Tru-Finder™ viewfinder found on the flagship NEX-7 model. Additionally, the NEX-6 adds a standard DSLR-style mode dial for fast, simple navigation between settings.
“Put simply, we are revolutionizing the world of compact system cameras,” said Mike Kahn, director of the alpha camera business at Sony Electronics. “With the NEX-6, we’ve brought a full DSLR experience – fast focus, enhanced control and an “eye-level” shooting style – to consumers at a fraction of the size and weight. Add the convenience of Wi-Fi connectivity and our innovative Play Memories Camera Apps platform, and it becomes a truly compelling product unlike anything else in market today. It’s the perfect balance of size, performance quality.”
The camera’s large Exmor® APS HD CMOS sensor offers 16.1 effective megapixels for true DSLR-quality images and detail-packed Full HD video. It’s teamed with a powerful BIONZ® image processor that ensures flawless, low-noise images at extended sensitivity settings up to ISO 25600.
The innovative Fast Hybrid AF system* combines phase- and contrast-detect AF methods. It uses 99 phase-detection AF points arrayed on the image sensor to detect a subject’s distance and direction to quickly lock focus on it, and then utilizes contrast-detection AF to confirm extremely fine focus detail. In Speed Priority Continuous shooting mode, the camera automatically switches to phase detection tracking AF to track fast-moving action accurately in each frame at up to 10 frames per second.
As with the flagship NEX-7 camera, the NEX-6 model features an XGA OLED Tru-Finder™ EVF for precision framing and focusing. This 2.36 million dot electronic viewfinder gives a bright, detail-packed, high contrast view of still images and video, with 100% frame coverage and a wide field of view to rival pro-grade optical viewfinders. On-screen grid lines and a digital level gauge can be displayed to assist with accurate framing.
The high-quality OLED Tru-Finder™ EVF is complemented by a 3.0” Xtra Fine LCD™ display that can be angled up to 90° up or 45° down (approx.) for easy viewing in virtually any shooting position. The LCD screen ensures superb detail and contrast with significantly reduced on-screen reflections, aiding composition when shooting outdoors or in direct light.
New for the NEX-6 camera is a strategically-positioned mode dial on its top, similar to those found on traditional DSLR cameras, giving photographers easy access to commonly used shooting modes including P/A/S/M and Sweep Panorama™ mode. The camera also has mode-dependent control dial (located underneath the mode dial) plus a separate control wheel on the camera back for fine adjustments of exposure, ISO, white balance and other settings.
Also inherited from high-end A-mount cameras, a “Function” key and pro-focused Quick Navi interface allows fingertip adjustment of settings without taking the viewfinder away from the shooter’s eye. Alongside a handy pop-up flash, there’s a versatile new Multi Interface Shoe that’s capable of ‘intelligent’ linkage with various accessories.
Full HD movie shooting is enhanced on the Sony NEX-6 camera with a new Auto Slow Shutter feature that adds extra detail to low-light clips. The camera detects dim interiors and night scenes and automatically selects a slower shutter speed to brighten footage.
Sony NEX-6: Wi-Fi Sharing and New Camera Apps
Shared with the NEX-5R model, integrated Wi-Fi on the Sony NEX-6 camera allows photos to be transferred wirelessly to a smartphone or tablet running Sony’s free PlayMemories Mobile™ app (free of charge), available on both Android™ and Apple iOS platforms. Additionally, content can be directly uploaded from the camera to Facebook® using a Wi-Fi connection and the new “Direct Upload” application, part of Sony’s new PlayMemories Camera Apps™ platform.
The PlayMemories Camera Apps platform is the world’s first application download service in an interchangeable lens camera that allows consumers to install new functions on demand, tailoring their cameras to fit personal shooting needs. The service can be accessed over Wi-Fi or when the camera is connected directly to a PC via USB.**
Available apps at launch, outside of “Direct Upload”, will include “Picture Effect+”, “Multi Frame NR” and “Smart Remote Control.” A variety of other apps including “Bracket Pro”, “Photo Retouch”, “Time-Lapse” and “Cinematic Photo” are also planned for future release.
New Interchangeable Lenses for Sony NEX a E-mount Cameras
Sony has also introduced three new lenses for its E-mount line of interchangeable lens cameras, adding to the system’s flexibility. The lenses include the Sony E 35mm F/1.8 OSS prime, the Sony E 16-50mm F/3.5-5.6 OSS Power Zoom and the Sony E 10-18mm F/4 OSS zoom lens.
Sony E 16-50mm F/3.5-5.6 OSS Zoom Lens
The new Sony SELP1650 lens is an extremely light, compact 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 powered zoom model that measures only 29.9 mm thick (when fully retracted) and contains built-in Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilization for clearer handheld images.
The SEL 16-50mm F/3.5-5.6 power zoom lens also features a dual-function ring that controls both power zoom and manual focus, depending on the camera’s focus mode. With the camera set to AF the control ring adjusts smooth, high-speed zoom with small hand movements. With the camera in MF mode, the ring controls manual focus. A smooth power zoom dial makes the lens particularly useful for shooting video.
Sony E 35mm F/1.8 OSS Prime Lens
The new Sony SEL35F18 lens is a wide aperture 35mm focal length model with a bright maximum aperture of f/1.8 and built-in Optical SteadyShot image stabilization.
It offers excellent optical sharpness, clarity, and background defocus in both still images and HD video, and is exceptionally light and easy to carry.
Sony E 10-18mm F/4 OSS Zoom Lens
The new Sony SEL1018 lens is a super-wide angle zoom with a maximum aperture of f/4.0 across its range of 10-18mm and built-in Optical SteadyShot image stabilization. Adopting the super ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass which reduces color aberration, the lens is capable of producing dramatic perspective effects and is ideal for shooting landscapes and interiors.
New accessories for Sony NEX-6 Camera
The new stylish, leather LCS-ELC6 Soft Carrying Case is designed exclusively for use with the NEX-6 camera and attached SELP1650 or SEL16F28 lens. While attached, the case still allows use of a tripod as well as the camera’s LCD screen to be tilted.
The new LCS-EJA Soft Carrying Case can be used for all a E-mount cameras, and is ideal for use with the new SELP1650 or SEL16F28 lens attached. It has internal pockets for storage of the lens cap as well as a spare memory card.
Sony NEX-6 Pricing and Availability
The NEX-6 compact system camera will be available this November in a kit with the SELP1650 power zoom lens for about US $1,000. It will also be offered as body-only for about $850.
The SELP1650 power zoom lens will be sold separately in January for about $350, and the SEL35F18 prime and SEL1018 wide angle lenses will be available this November for about $450 and US $850, respectively.
The LCS-ELC6 and LCS-EJA soft carrying cases will be available this November for about $100 and $40.
The Sony NEX-6 mirrorless interchangeable lens compact camera is now available for order from Amazon.comin a body only or kit form with the Sony E 16-50mm F/3.5-5.6 OSS power zoom lens.
Sony NEX-6 Mirrorless Compact Camera Specifications
|Image Sensor||Exmor™ APS HD CMOS sensor (23.5 X 15.6mm)|
|Effective Resolution||Approx. 16.1 megapixels|
|Still Image Size||16:9L (14M): 4912 X 2760|
M (7.1M): 3568 X 2000
S (3.4M): 2448 X 13763:2L (16M): 4912 X 3264
M (8.4M): 3568 X 2368
S (4M): 2448 X 1624
|Focal Range Conversion||1.5x|
|Optical Image Stabilization Available||Selected E-mount lenses incorporate Optical SteadyShot® image stabilization to combat the effects of camera shake. Building stabilization into the lenses enables the camera body to be remarkably thin and light.|
|Dust-Reduction||Charge protection coating on Low-Pass Filter and electromagnetic vibration mechanism|
|Viewfinder||0.5-inch Electronic viewfinder|
Eye point: Approx. 23mm from the eyepiece, 21mm from the eyepiece frame at -1m-1(diopter)
Number of dots: 2,359,296 dots
Brightness control: Auto, Manual (3 steps between -1 and +1)
Diopter Adjustment: -4m-1 to +1.0m-1 (diopter)
Field of View: 100% coverage
|LCD Monitor||3-inch wide type TFT (921,600 dots)Angle Adjustment: Up: Approx. 90 degrees, Down: Approx. 45 degreesBrightness Control: Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2), Sunny Weather modeReal-time image adjustment display: On/Off|
Peaking Focus: Yes (Level setting: High/Mid/Low/Off, Color: White/Red/Yellow)
Customization: Graphic display/Display all info/Big font size display/No display info/Levels/Histogram/Viewfinder
|Exposure Settings||iAUTO, Superior Auto, Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter-speed priority (S), Manual (M), Sweep Panorama, Scene Selection|
|Scene Modes||Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Sports Action, Sunset, Night Portrait, Night View, Handheld Twilight, Anti Motion Blur|
|Exposure Compensation||Still images: +/- 3.0EV (1/3EV steps), Movies: +/- 2.0EV (1/3EV steps)|
|Exposure Bracketing||With 1/3, 2/3, 1, 2, 3EV increments, 3 frames|
|Auto Exposure Lock||AE is locked when the shutter button is half pressed (ON/OFF is available in MENU)|
|Metering||Advanced 1200-zone evaluative metering|
|Metering Modes||Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot|
|Exposure Metering Sensitivity||0EV-20EV, (at ISO 100 equivalent w/ f/2.8 lens)|
|Picture Effects||11 types (15 variations): Posterization (Color, B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R,G,B,Y), High Contrast Mono, Toy Camera, Soft High-key, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Mono, Miniature|
|Creative Style||Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, B/W (Contrast (-3 to +3steps), Saturation(-3 to +3steps), Sharpness(-3 to +3steps))|
|ISO Settings||Still images: Auto (ISO 100-3200), Selectable (ISO 100-25600)Movies: Auto (ISO 100-3200), Selectable (ISO 100-6400)|
|D-Range Optimizer||Yes: (Auto, Level, Off)|
|Auto High Dynamic Range||Yes, (Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure difference Level (1.0-6.0 EV at 1.0 EV step), off)|
|Noise Reduction||Long Exposure NR: (On/Off, available at shutter speeds longer than 1 second) High ISO NR: (High/Normal/Low)|
|White Balance Settings||Auto WB, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Flash, C.Tem (2500 to 9900K), C.Filter (G7 to M7,A7 to B7), Custom|
|Focus System||Focus System: Fast Hybrid AF (phase-detection AF/contrast-detection AF) with “Exmor” APS HD CMOS sensorFocus Points: 99 points (phase-detection AF), 25 points (contrast-detection AF)AF Modes: AF-S: Single-shot AF, AF-C: Continuous AFFocus Area: Multi Point (99 points(phase-detection AF), 25 points(contrast-AF)), Center-weighted, Flexible Spot|
Focus Sensitivity: 0 EV to +20 EV (at ISO100 conversion with F2.8 lens attached)
Manual Focus Assist : Yes MF assist (4.8x, 9.6x)
Focus Features: Predictive control, Focus lock, Eye-Start AF (with FDA-EV1S and LA-EA2(Sold separately))
AF Illuminator: Built-in, LED type (with a range of approx. 0.3-3.0m (with E PZ16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS attached))
|Face Detection AF||On/On (Regist. Faces)/Off, Face Selection (maximum 8 detectables)|
|Smile Shutter™ technology||Smile shutter (selectable from 3 steps)|
|Continuous Shooting||Speed (approx., max.): Fine: 15 frames, Standard: 16 frames, RAW: 11 frames, RAW&JPG: 10 framesContinuous mode: max. 3 fps; Speed Priority Continuous shooting: max. 10 fps|
|Drive Mode||Single-shot, Continuous shooting, Speed Priority continuous shooting, Self-timer (10/2s delay selectable), Self-timer (10/2s delay 3/5 exposures selectable), Bracketing, Remote Cdr|
|Sweep Panorama Mode||Horizontal (Wide/Standard), Vertical (Wide/Standard)|
|Still Image File Format||JPEG (Standard, Fine), RAW, RAW+JPEG|
|Video Format||AVCHD Ver. 2.0 (Progressive), AVCHD, MP4|
|Movie Recording File Type|
|AVCHD:PS – 1920 x 1080/60p@28MbpsFX – 1920 x 1080/60i@24MbpsFH – 1920 x 1080/60i@17Mbps|
FX – 1920 x 1080/24p@24Mbps
FH – 1920 x 1080/24p@17Mbps
HD – 1440 x 1080/ 30p@12Mbps
VGA – 640 x 480/ 30p@3Mbps
|Audio Recording||Dolby Digital (AC-3) / MPEG-4 AAC-LC, 2chBuilt-in stereo microphones / Built-in, monaural speaker (volume settings in 8 steps between 0 and 7)|
|Wi-Fi||PlayMemories Camera Apps: Yes|
Send to Computer: Yes
View on Smartphone: Yes
View on TV: Yes
|Pop-up Flash||Flash Compensation: +/- 2.0EV (1/3EV steps)Flash Coverage: FOV coverage up to 16 mm lensFlash Modes: Autoflash, Fill-flash, Rear sync., Slow sync., Rear Sync., Flash Off, Wireless (requires external flash sold seperately)Flash Type: Built-in flash. Optional Sony system external flash|
Guide Number: 6 (in meters at ISO 100 equivalent)
Recycling Time: Approx. 4 sec.
|Memory Card Type||Memory Stick PRO Duo™/Pro-HG Duo™/PRO-HG HX Duo™ media SD, SDHC and SDXC memory card|
|Interface||Multi Interface Shoe: Yes|
Accessory Shoe: Yes with the adaptor ADP-MAA (Sold separately). Multi Interface Shoe.
HD Output: HDMI® (TypeC mini), BRAVIA Sync, Photo TV HD
PhotoTV HD: Yes
|Battery System||InfoLITHIUM® NP-FW50 (7.2V)Approx. 270 images (Viewfinder), Approx. 360 images (LCD screen) (CIPA standard)|
|Supplied Accessories with the Sony NEX 6||• USB cable (Mini B)• Lens cap• NP-FW50 Lithium ion rechargeable battery• CD-ROM|
• AC-UB10 AC adaptor
• Shoulder strap
|Dimensions||119.9 x 66.9 x 42.6mm (W/H/D)|