Canon has released the Powershot A3400 IS compact camera, the first Canon Powershot A series model to feature a touch screen LCD panel, with Touch Focus and Touch Shutter modes for controlling camera operation.
The Canon A3400 IS incorporates a 16MP resolution sensor combined with a 5x optical image stabilized zoom lens (28-140mm equivalent in 35mm terms). Additional headline features of the A 3400 IS include; simple operation with Easy Auto and user selectable Scene modes, advanced technologies including subject tracking AF, and the camera offers the ability to record 720p HD movies with sound at the touch of a button. If desired, the Canon A3400 IS also allows you to shoot videos in the popular Apple iFrame format that simplifies importing and editing for both MAC and PC based systems.
The Canon PowerShot A3400 IS digital camera is available in black, silver, red and gold for an estimated retail price of $189.99.
Canon Powershot A3400 IS: Major Features
- A 3.0-inch touch panel LCD offers easy and intuitive operation and Touch Shutter makes capturing photos easy
- Smart AUTO intelligently selects the proper camera settings based on 32 predefined shooting situations
- Shoot 720p HD video with a dedicated user friendly movie button
- 16.0 Megapixel Image Sensor with DIGIC 4 Image Processor
- 5x Optical Zoom with 28mm Wide-Angle lens and Optical Image Stabilizer
- Intelligent IS automatically chooses from six different modes to optimize image stabilization
- Help Button provides simple explanations and easy controls of your settings
- Scene Modes such as Super Vivid, Poster Effect and Miniature Effect provide creative versatility
- Lithium-ion battery and charger supplied
- Available in black, silver, red, and gold
Get the Shot You Want with Just a Touch
The PowerShot A3400 IS digital camera’s 3.0-inch LCD screen makes it easy to view and frame your shots. You can view the LCD screen over a wide angle – above, below or to either side – without colour shifts and with minimal reflections. A scratch-proof hard coating and a dust-repellent fluorine coating provides enhanced durability.
Touch Panel LCD with Touch Shutter
The PowerShot A3400 IS features touch panel technology that makes using the camera more intuitive and fun. Simply touch the screen to choose and track an AF point, change camera settings, record and play videos and more. It also has a Touch Shutter function that allows you to release the shutter right from the screen. Just touch the desired subject with your finger, and an AF box appears and tracks the subject as it moves. Then just lift your finger to release the shutter.
A Smarter Camera Means Better Photos
Smart AUTO automatically detects scenes by assessing various factors in both the background and the subject. Detected scenes are analyzed using 32 predefined shooting situations. The camera then selects the optimal settings for the scene or shooting situation at hand. Smart AUTO also includes Advanced Subject Detection, which allows the camera to detect and track non-human moving subjects like animals and vehicles. With Smart AUTO, all you have to do is frame your shot and capture away.
Shooting Modes/Special Scene Modes
• Smart AUTO: The camera automatically selects the best shooting settings for optimal quality based on subjects and environmental factors to provide point-and-shoot simplicity.
• Program: The camera automatically and intelligently selects the aperture/shutter speed combination based on the shooting conditions.
• Portrait: Brings the subject into focus while beautifully blurring the background.
• Face Self-timer: The camera waits for a face to enter the frame before releasing the shutter.
• Low Light: For high quality image capture in an amazing range of dimly lit situations.
• Fisheye Effect: Now you can get the fisheye effect – a classic photographic distortion – without a fisheye lens.
• Miniature Effect Give images a miniature look with an effect that emphasizes perspective by blurring the top and bottom of the image.
• Toy Camera Effect: Simulates photos taken with “toy” or pinhole cameras, darkening the image at the edges to create a vignette effect.
• Monochrome: Choose from three single-tone effects: Black-and-White, Sepia, or Blue.
• Super Vivid: Super Vivid intensifies existing hues, saturating the scene with bright colours.
• Poster Effect: Poster Effect combines several similar shades into one colour, turning subtle gradations into eye-catching, scene-popping contrasts.
• Snow: Shoot clear snow scenes without darkened subjects or an unnatural bluish tint.
• Fireworks: Create brilliant images of skyrocketing fireworks.
• Long Shutter: Use to blur moving subjects for artistic effect, ideal for urban night photography.
• Discreet Mode: Disables flash, AF assist beam, and all camera sounds with one mode dial setting–so you can capture images in quiet areas.
• iFrame Movie: The Apple® movie format, iFrame, makes it easier and quicker to import and upload videos while retaining high image quality.
With a simple push of the dedicated movie button, you’ll be able to instantly start recording. In addition to being able to shoot 720p HD video at 25 frames per second, the PowerShot A3400 IS can also shoot 640 x 480 VGA video at 30 frames per second.
With the PowerShot A3400 IS digital camera, you can also shoot video in the Apple® iFrame format, which is a computer-friendly standard that speeds up importing and editing of videos. It keeps file sizes small, making it more convenient to upload or e-mail high-quality videos. The iFrame format enjoys native support in compatible Mac and Windows video applications, making it unnecessary to perform time-consuming and often quality-degrading conversions.
High Resolution, Highly Advanced Performance
16.0 Megapixels of resolution allows you the flexibility to blow up and crop any section of an image to express your creativity. The DIGIC 4 Image Processor powers the camera’s advanced systems and features, ensuring fast, reliable performance with low battery consumption.
DIGIC 4 Image Processor
With each successive generation, DIGIC processors have brought elevated performance and powerful new features to PowerShot digital cameras. The DIGIC 4 Image Processor has ushered in a new level of picture quality and accelerated processing, making possible features such as high-speed continuous shooting, HD video, and Face Detection Self-timer.
Zoom in on Wider, Steadier Shots
The Canon Powershot A3400 IS features a 5x optical zoom (35mm equivalent: 28-140mm), with a wide-angle field of view to cover scenery and landscapes and mid range telephoto capabilities to zoom in close for a head and shoulders portrait type shot.
Optical Image Stabilizer
Handheld shooting can often lead to camera shake, making photos and videos blurry. Canon’s Optical Image Stabilizer is a sophisticated system that uses lens-shift technology to correct for unwanted camera movement. It makes handheld photography more practical, providing enhanced image quality in many difficult shooting situations: outdoors at dusk, inside without a flash, and even at the telephoto end of the zoom range without a tripod. For photos, it enables shooting at slower shutter speeds, accommodating more low-light shooting situations than ever before without having to boost ISO sensitivity. With camera shake and vibration reduced, you get a sharper, steadier image. And because it is an optical system, there is none of the image degradation typical with electronic image stabilizers.
A Steady Image Is a Beautiful Image
The latest advance in Canon Optical Image Stabilization technology, Intelligent IS analyzes camera movement and applies the best shake correction method for the shooting situation. For stills, the system automatically selects among Normal, Panning, Macro (Hybrid), and Tripod IS modes. When shooting video, the system automatically selects among Dynamic, Powered, Macro, and Tripod IS modes. With Intelligent IS, you can concentrate on image capture, letting the camera make the most effective IS settings to assure the steadiest possible image.
– Normal: Corrects for a wide range of camera movement when shooting stills.
– Panning: Panning motion is detected so that IS does not interfere with desired camera movement.
– Macro (Hybrid): Corrects for shift-type camera shake, which typically occurs in macro (close-up) shooting.
– Dynamic: Effective for video shooting at wide-angle focal lengths, eliminating the unwanted shaking that typically occurs while walking.
– Powered: Compensates for hand movement when shooting video at the telephoto end of the zoom range, where camera shake is magnified.
– Tripod: When tripod use is detected, the Image Stabilizer is stopped because it is not needed.
You Won’t Need Help to Find
The PowerShot A3400 IS digital camera is designed to be fun and easy to use, even for beginners. A new Help Button on the camera’s exterior brings up the help menu any time you need it, right on the LCD screen. From here, you can scroll through a variety of topics that answer your questions with clear explanations, offer helpful shooting advice, and show you diagrams highlighting the position of any buttons you’ll need.
More Ways to Get Creative
Scene Modes are fun, easy ways to give your shots a distinctly artistic feel without the need for any extra lenses and filters. Super Vivid heightens and saturates colours for added intensity. Poster Effect eliminates gradations between colours for an illustrative feel. Miniature Effect enhances perspective in a scene, blurring the top and bottom to make it look as if it were created with miniature models. You can also make a quirky portrait using the Fisheye Effect or add a beautiful single-tone effect with Monochrome. Toy Camera Effect simulates a vintage look as it capturing the photo using a “toy” or pinhole camera.
Charge Up and Go!
The Canon PowerShot A3400 IS digital camera uses a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery. This compact, powerful battery helps make it a lightweight and slim camera. Charge-up is quick and easy.
A Colour Just Right for You
While the classic black camera will always be right for a lot of photographers, Canon recognizes that others will long for colours that express their individuality. Accordingly, the PowerShot A3400 IS digital camera is offered in a range of hues from subtle to vibrant, fun to chic. Take your pick from black, silver, red, and gold.
Canon Powershot A3400 IS: Specifications
|Effective Pixels||Approx. 16.0M|
|Colour Filter Type||Primary Colour|
|Image Processor||DIGIC 4 with iSAPS technology|
|Focal Length||5.0 – 25.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 28 – 140 mm)|
|Zoom||Optical 5x. Digital Approx. 4x. Combined Approx. 20x¹²|
|Maximum f/number||f/2.8 – f/6.9|
|Construction||6 elements in 5 groups|
(1 double-sided aspherical lens, 1 double-sided aspherical UA lens)
|Image Stabilisation||Yes (lens shift-type), 3.5-stop. Intelligent IS|
|AF System/ Points||AiAF (Face Detection / 9-point), 1-point AF (fixed to centre)|
|AF Modes||Single, Continuous (Auto mode only), Servo AF/AE¹, Tracking AF¹|
|AF Point Selection||Size (Normal, Small)|
|AF Lock||On/Off Selectable|
|AF Assist Beam||Yes|
|Closest Focusing Distance||3 cm (W) from front of lens in macro|
|Metering modes||Evaluative (linked to Face Detection AF frame), Centre-weighted average, Spot (centre)|
|AE Lock||On/Off Selectable|
|Exposure Compensation||+/- 2 EV in 1/3 stop increments.|
Enhanced i-Contrast for automatic dynamic range correction
|ISO sensitivity*||AUTO, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600|
|Speed||1 – 1/2000 sec. (factory default)|
15 – 1/2000 sec. (total range – varies by shooting mode)
|White Balance Type||TTL|
|White Balance Settings||Auto (including Face Detection WB), Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Custom|
|Monitor||3-inch Touch TFT, Approx. 230,000 dots|
|Brightness||Adjustable to one of five levels|
|Modes||Auto, Manual Flash On / Off, Slow Synchro|
|Slow Sync Speed||Yes. Fastest speed 1/2000 sec.|
|Flash Exposure Compensation||Face Detection FE, Smart Flash Exposure|
|Flash Exposure Lock||Yes|
|Built-in Flash Range||50 cm – 3.0 m (W) / 1.0 – 2.0 m (T)|
|External Flash||Canon High Power Flash HF-DC1|
Canon High Power Flash HF-DC2
|Modes||Smart Auto (32 scenes detected), P, Live View Control, Portrait, FaceSelf-Timer, Low Light (4.0MP), Fish-eye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Snow, Fireworks, Long Shutter, Discreet|
|Modes in Movie||P, Live View Control, Portrait, Miniature Effect, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Snow, Fireworks, iFrame Movie|
|Drive modes||Single, Continuous, Self-Timer|
|Continuous Shooting||Approx. 0.8 shots/sec. (until memory card becomes full)|
|Image Size||(L) 4608 x 3456, (M1) 3264 x 2448, (M2) 1600 x 1200, (S) 640 x 480, (W) 4608 x 2592. Resize in playback (M2, S, 320 x 240)|
|Movies||(HD) 1280 x 720, 25 fps, (L) 640 x 480, 30 fps|
Miniature Effect (HD (5, 2.5, 1.25 fps) or L (6, 3, 1.5 fps))
iFrame Movie (HD)
|Movie Length||(HD) Up to 4 GB or 29 min. 59 sec.|
(L) up to 4 GB or 1 hour
|Still Image Type||JPEG compression, (Exif 2.3 [Exif Print] compliant) / Design rule for Camera File system, Digital Print Order Format [DPOF] Version 1.1 compliant|
|Movies||MOV [H.264 + Linear PCM (2 channel monaural)]|
|Canon Printers||Canon SELPHY Compact Photo Printers and Canon Inkjet Printers supporting PictBridge (ID Photo Print, Fixed Size Print and Movie Print supported on SELPHY CP & ES printers only)|
|Red-Eye Correction||Yes, during shooting and playback|
|Playback zoom||Approx. 2x – 10x|
|Self Timer||Approx. 2 or 10 sec. or Custom|
|Menu Languages||English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, Chinese (traditional), Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Thai, Arabic, Ukrainian, Romanian, Farsi, Vietnamese, Malaysian, Indonesian|
|Interface||Hi-Speed USB (MTP, PTP) dedicated connector (Mini-B compatible)|
A/V output, dedicated connector (PAL/NTSC)
|Memory Card Type||SD, SDHC, SDXC|
|Batteries||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery NB-11L (battery and charger supplied)|
|Battery life||Approx. 180 shots|
Approx. 240 min. playback
|A/C Power Supply||Optional, AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC90|
|Cases / Straps||Soft Case DCC-520|
|Flash||Canon High Power Flash HF-DC1|
Canon High Power Flash HF-DC2
|Power Supply & Battery Chargers||AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC90|
|Other||Canon AV Cable AVC-DC400|
|Operating Environment||0 – 40 °C, 10 – 90% humidity|
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||94.4 x 56.3 x 21.3 mm|
|Weight||Approx. 141 g (including battery/batteries and memory card)|