The new Canon Powershot A2300 is now available in stores. This 16MP compact digital camera with 5x wide-angle zoom lens is designed to be an affordable solution for capturing everyday snapshots and family vacation photos. If you prefer to shoot video, the Canon Powershot A2300 does that as well, providing the option of 720p HD movie recording with sound at the simple push of a dedicated recording button.
The Canon Powershot A2300 is available now at an MSRP of $149.99
Canon Powershot A2300: Major Features
- Smart AUTO intelligently selects the proper camera settings based on 32 predefined shooting situations for capturing spectacular images with ease.
- Shoot brilliant 720p HD video with a dedicated movie button.
- 16.0 Megapixel Image Sensor with DIGIC 4 Image Processor for exceptional performance.
- 5x Optical Zoom with 28mm Wide-Angle lens delivers stunning images.
- Digital IS reduces the effect of camera shake and subject movement.
- Help Button provides simple explanations and easy controls of your settings.
- Lithium-ion battery makes it easy to recharge your batteries.
- Available in black, silver, blue, and red.
A Smarter Camera Means Better Photos
Photographers of all levels appreciate a camera – especially a go-anywhere compact digital – that takes the hassle out of capturing beautiful images. The PowerShot A2300 gives you Smart AUTO – sophisticated Canon technology that makes getting that great shot as simple as pressing the shutter button. Smart AUTO automatically detects scenes by assessing various factors in both the background and the subject. Detected scenes are analyzed using 32 predefined shooting situations. The camera then makes optimal settings to ensure the best possible image capture when shooting still images. Smart AUTO also includes Advanced Subject Detection, which allows the camera to detect and track non-human moving subjects like animals and vehicles. With Smart AUTO, all you have to do is frame your shot and capture away.
Shooting Modes/Special Scene Modes
• Smart AUTO: The camera automatically selects the best shooting settings for optimal quality based on subjects and environmental factors to provide point–and–shoot simplicity.
• Program: The camera automatically selects the aperture/shutter speed combination based on the shooting conditions
• Live View Control: Enables Brightness, Colour, and Tone adjustments to your images using easy–to–understand controls
• Digital IS: The camera digitally corrects image blur by analyzing the subject prior to choosing the best correction method
• Portrait: Brings the subject into focus while beautifully blurring the background
• Face Self–timer: The camera waits for a face to enter the frame before releasing the shutter
• Low Light For high quality image capture in an amazing range of dimly lit situations
• Fisheye Effect: Now you can get the fisheye effect – a classic photographic distortion – without a fisheye lens.
• Miniature Effect: Give images a miniature look with an effect that emphasizes perspective by blurring the top and bottom of the image.
• Toy Camera Effect: Simulates photos taken with “toy” or pinhole cameras, darkening the image at the edges to create a vignette effect
• Monochrome: Choose from three single–tone effects: Black–and–White, Sepia, or Blue
• Super Vivid: Super Vivid intensifies existing hues, saturating the scene with bright colours
• Poster Effect: Poster Effect combines several similar shades into one colour, turning subtle gradations into eye–catching, scene–popping contrasts
• Snow: Shoot clear snow scenes without darkened subjects or an unnatural bluish tint
• Fireworks: Create brilliant images of skyrocketing fireworks
• Long Shutter: Use to blur moving subjects for artistic effect, ideal for urban night photography.
• Discreet Mode: Disables flash, AF assist beam, and all camera sounds with one mode dial setting–so you can capture images in quiet areas.
• iFrame Movie: The Apple® movie format, iFrame, makes it easier and quicker to import and upload videos while retaining high image quality.
With a simple push of the dedicated movie button, you’ll be able to instantly start recording. In addition to being able to shoot 720p HD video at 25 frames per second, the PowerShot A3400 IS can also shoot 640 x 480 VGA video at 30 frames per second.
With the PowerShot A2300 digital camera, you can also shoot video in the Apple® iFrame format, which is a computer-friendly standard that speeds up importing and editing of videos. It keeps file sizes small, making it more convenient to upload or e-mail high-quality videos. The iFrame format enjoys native support in compatible Mac and Windows video applications, making it unnecessary to perform time-consuming and often quality-degrading conversions.
High Resolution, Highly Advanced Performance
16.0 Megapixels of resolution allows you the flexibility to blow up and crop any section of an image to express your creativity. The DIGIC 4 Image Processor powers the camera’s advanced systems and features, ensuring fast, reliable performance with low battery consumption.
DIGIC 4 Image Processor
With each successive generation, DIGIC processors have brought elevated performance and powerful new features to PowerShot digital cameras. The DIGIC 4 Image Processor has ushered in a new level of picture quality and accelerated processing, making possible features such as high-speed continuous shooting, HD video, and Face Detection Self-timer.
Zoom in on Wider, Steadier Shots
The Canon Powershot A2300 features a 5x optical zoom (35mm equivalent: 28-140mm), with a wide-angle field of view to cover scenery and landscapes and mid range telephoto capabilities to zoom in close for a head and shoulders portrait type shot.
Say Goodbye to Blur
Digital IS beats the blur that mars many shots by recognizing the main subject, then automatically applying the camera shake correction that best suits the situation. If the subject is a person, blur reduction processing is performed. For landscapes, cityscapes and other still scenes, the camera takes 3 quick successive shots and composes them into a single clear image. If the subject is moving, the camera takes 3 successive shots, and then automatically saves the clearest image.
You Won’t Need Help to Find
The PowerShot A2300 digital camera is designed to be fun and easy to use, even for beginners. A new Help Button on the camera’s exterior brings up the help menu any time you need it, right on the LCD screen. From here, you can scroll through a variety of topics that answer your questions with clear explanations, offer helpful shooting advice, and show you diagrams highlighting the position of any buttons you’ll need.
More Ways to Get Creative
Scene Modes are fun, easy ways to give your shots a distinctly artistic feel without the need for any extra lenses and filters. Super Vivid heightens and saturates colours for added intensity. Poster Effect eliminates gradations between colours for an illustrative feel. Miniature Effect enhances perspective in a scene, blurring the top and bottom to make it look as if it were created with miniature models. You can also make a quirky portrait using the Fisheye Effect or add a beautiful single-tone effect with Monochrome. Toy Camera Effect simulates a vintage look as it capturing the photo using a “toy” or pinhole camera.
Charge Up and Go!
The Canon PowerShot A2300 digital camera uses a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery. This compact, powerful battery helps make it a lightweight and slim camera. Charge-up is quick and easy.
A Colour Just Right for You
While the classic black camera will always be right for a lot of photographers, Canon recognizes that others will long for colours that express their individuality. Accordingly, the PowerShot A2300 digital camera is offered in a range of hues from subtle to vibrant, fun to chic. Take your pick from red, black, silver, and blue.
Canon Powershot A2300: Specifications
|Sensor Type||1/2.3 type CCD|
|Effective Pixels||Approx. 16.0M|
|Image Processor||DIGIC 4 with iSAPS technology|
|Focal Length||5.0 – 25.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 28 – 140 mm)|
|Zoom||Optical 5x. Digital Approx. 4x. Combined Approx. 20x|
|Maximum f/number||f/2.8 – f/6.9|
|Lens Construction||6 elements in 5 groups(1 double-sided aspherical lens, 1 double-sided aspherical UA lens)|
|AF System/ Points||AiAF (Face Detection / 9-point), 1-point AF (fixed to centre)|
|AF Modes||Single, Continuous (Auto mode only), Servo AF/AE¹, Tracking AF¹|
|AF Point Selection||Size (Normal, Small)|
|AF Lock||On/Off Selectable|
|AF Assist Beam||Yes|
|Closest Focusing Distance||3 cm (W) from front of lens in macro|
|Metering modes||Evaluative (linked to Face Detection AF frame), Centre-weighted average, Spot (centre)|
|AE Lock||On/Off Selectable|
|Exposure Compensation||+/- 2 EV in 1/3 stop increments.|
Enhanced i-Contrast for automatic dynamic range correction
|ISO sensitivity||AUTO, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600|
|Shutter Speed||1 – 1/2000 sec. (factory default)|
15 – 1/2000 sec. (total range – varies by shooting mode)
|White Balance Settings||Auto (including Face Detection WB), Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Custom|
|LCD Monitor||2.7-inch TFT, Approx. 230,000 dots|
|Brightness||Adjustable to one of five levels|
|Flash Modes||Auto, Manual Flash On / Off, Slow Synchro|
|Slow Sync Speed||Yes. Fastest speed 1/2000 sec.|
|Flash Exposure Compensation||Face Detection FE, Smart Flash Exposure|
|Flash Exposure Lock||Yes|
|Built-in Flash Range||50 cm – 3.0 m (W) / 1.0 – 2.0 m (T)|
|External Flash||Optional Canon Flash HF-DC1|
Canon High Power Flash HF-DC2
|Shooting Modes||Smart Auto (32 scenes detected), P, Live View Control, Digital IS, Portrait, FaceSelf-Timer, Low Light (4.0MP), Fish-eye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Snow, Fireworks, Long Shutter, Discreet|
|Modes in Movie||P, Live View Control, Portrait, Miniature Effect, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Snow, Fireworks, iFrame Movie|
|Drive modes||Single, Continuous, Self-Timer|
|Continuous Shooting||Approx. 0.8 shots/sec. (until memory card becomes full)|
|Image Size||(L) 4608 x 3456, (M1) 3264 x 2448, (M2) 1600 x 1200, (S) 640 x 480, (W) 4608 x 2592. Resize in playback (M2, S, 320 x 240)|
|Movies||(HD) 1280 x 720, 25 fps, (L) 640 x 480, 30 fps|
Miniature Effect (HD (5, 2.5, 1.25 fps) or L (6, 3, 1.5 fps))
iFrame Movie (HD)
|Movie Length||(HD) Up to 4 GB or 29 min. 59 sec.¹|
(L) up to 4 GB or 1 hour²
|Still Image Type||JPEG compression, (Exif 2.3 [Exif Print] compliant) / Design rule for Camera File system, Digital Print Order Format [DPOF] Version 1.1 compliant|
|Movies||MOV [H.264 + Linear PCM (2 channel monaural)]|
|Canon Printers||Canon SELPHY Compact Photo Printers and Canon Inkjet Printers supporting PictBridge (ID Photo Print, Fixed Size Print and Movie Print supported on SELPHY CP & ES printers only)|
|Red-Eye Correction||Yes, during shooting and playback|
|Playback zoom||Approx. 2x – 10x|
|Self Timer||Approx. 2 or 10 sec. or Custom|
|Menu Languages||English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, Chinese (traditional), Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Thai, Arabic, Ukrainian, Romanian, Farsi, Vietnamese, Malaysian, Indonesian|
|Interface||Hi-Speed USB (MTP, PTP) dedicated connector (Mini-B compatible)|
A/V output, dedicated connector (PAL/NTSC)
|Memory Card Type||SD, SDHC, SDXC|
|Software||ImageBrowser EXCamera Window|
|Batteries||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery NB-11L (battery and charger supplied)|
|Battery life||Approx. 210 shots|
Approx. 300 min. playback
|A/C Power Supply||Optional, AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC90|
|Optional Accessories||Cases / Straps:Case DCC-510Flash:Canon High Power Flash HF-DC1|
Canon High Power Flash HF-DC2Power Supply & Battery Chargers:AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC90Canon AV Cable AVC-DC400
|Operating Environment||0 – 40 °C, 10 – 90% humidity|
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||94.4 x 54.2 x 20.1 mm|
|Weight||Approx. 125 g (including battery/batteries and memory card)|