The Canon Powershot D20 is a tough and fully submergible camera designed for the active lifestyle photographer. Available in a choice of three colours to suit individual preferences.
Canon Powershot D20 Compact Camera Headline Specs:
- Rugged construction; 12.1 MP HS System
- Water, shock, freeze and dustproof
- 28mm, 5x optical zoom; Intelligent IS
- 7.5 cm (3.0″) PureColor II LCD
- Full HD movies
- Smart Auto (32 scenes)
- Special movie modes
- Underwater functions
- Optional 40m Waterproof Case
Canon Powershot D20 Major Features
12.1 MP combined with DIGIC 4 image processor: Canon’s DIGIC 4 (Digital Imaging Core) processor manages all of the camera’s primary functions to optimise operating efficiency.
Canon HS System: The HS System represents a powerful combination of a high sensitivity sensor and high-performance DIGIC image processing designed to provide excellent image quality and advanced low-light performance, as well as significant advantages over non-HS System models, including:
• Improved image quality in all situations – The HS System can capture images with considerably less noise than non-HS System cameras at all ISO speeds. High ISO sensitivity photos taken with non-HS System cameras exhibit noise and grainy detail, especially in low light. By contrast, the HS System can detect and capture more detail and significantly reduce noise, resulting in more beautiful and true-to-life shots.
• Low-light performance – Shooting in low light conditions, such as in a dimly lit
interior or outdoors after the sun has set, can lead to blurred images when shooting handheld without a tripod. Engaging the flash in these conditions can often ruin the ambience of the scene and not provide enough light for a bright result. The HS System is designed to excel in low light and delivers premium image quality. Shooting at higher ISO levels also allows users to achieve faster shutter speeds to freeze the motion of subjects, prevent blur and avoid having to use a tripod. When the flash is required in very poorly lit conditions, the HS System can extend the reach of the flash, allowing users to capture more of the background detail, as well as illuminating the main subject.
• Wider ISO range – The HS System can leverage the excellent performance of its high and low ISO settings in order to capture the ambience of any scene with exceptional image quality, with an enhanced maximum ISO speed of ISO 3200.
• Dynamic Range – The increased sensitivity of the HS System allows each camera to capture a wider dynamic range with greater variation in brightness when compared to the results of non HS System models.
28mm high-quality 5x optical zoom lens
Developed using the same processes and high quality standards employed to manufacture its range of professional lenses, the 28-140mm Genuine Canon lens benefits greatly from Canon’s heritage in lens design, capturing sharp, high-resolution images every time.
Optical Image Stabilizer (2-stops)
In situations where image blur due to camera shake is more likely – such as in darker conditions or when shooting with the zoom extended – the optical Image Stabilizer can help images remain sharp through minute vibration gyros which detect camera movement caused by hand shake. These signals are processed by a single-chip IS controller, which discriminates between hand shake and intentional camera movements.
Signals are then sent to the IS unit, which moves one of the lens elements accordingly to re-align the light rays and cancel out the effects of camera shake..
Intelligent IS Intelligent IS is a technology that enables the camera to detect the shooting situation being captured and then select the most appropriate optical Image Stabilizer mode to
prevent blur. As the nature of camera movement can change according to the shooting situation, there are seven different IS modes that can be used:
• Normal IS – This standard Image Stabilizer mode is appropriate for still image shooting where regular camera shake is corrected. Depending on the focal length and focal distance of the subject, the camera will apply the appropriate amount of angular (rotational) and shift-shake correction to obtain the best result.
• Panning IS – When shooting a moving subject such as a cyclist or moving cars at a race circuit, Panning IS detects the panning motion. This mode applies the Image Stabilizer in the axis opposite to that of the panning motion to ensure the subject remains clear and the panning effect is smooth.
• Macro IS – Macro IS corrects both angular and the more pronounced shift- shake which often occurs when shooting close ups of subjects such as flowers.
• Tripod mode – When the camera detects it is fixed on a tripod, tripod mode automatically turns the Image Stabilizer off as it is not needed.
• Dynamic IS – During movie shooting, this mode produces steadier video footage by compensating for low frequency vibrations that occur typically when users shoot movies while on the move.
• Powered IS – When users are shooting movies of distant subjects at the fullest extent of the telephoto zoom, Powered IS is used to ensure the subject remains still and clear, counteracting the more extreme camera shake that is produced when shooting using the telephoto setting.
• Dynamic and Macro IS – This mode is engaged when shooting movies of macro subjects and corrects any areas of blur caused by the shift and angular movement typical of macro shooting.
Full 1080p HD Movie at 24fps
A dedicated Movie Record Button activates instant movie recording, ensuring that every moment is captured. An HDMI-CEC connection port is available for connecting directly (via an optional cable) to HD displays such as high definition TVs. If users have a HDMICEC compliant display, they can control playback of images on the camera via the TV remote.
Movie Digest captures the last four seconds before each shot is taken, in VGA quality video. Movie Digest then joins each clip from the same day into a single movie, building a fun ‘behind the scenes’ look at your day.
High speed functions
A range of high speed functions enable users to capture both fast moving action and scenes that would otherwise be very difficult to achieve:
• Handheld Night Scene – To capture scenes in very dark conditions, the camera will take a high speed sequence of shots and then combine them into a single image with the least possible blur and the best possible exposure.
• Super Slow Motion Movie – Utilizes the strengths of the CMOS sensor to record VGA resolution footage (640 x 480 pixels) at 120 fps or QVGA video (320 x 240 pixels) at 240 fps. It provides a great way to slow down fast-paced action, like sport, and can be used, for example, to analyse a golf or tennis swing.
Smart Auto mode: Smart Auto allows everyone to obtain the best result by simply pointing the camera at a subject and pressing the shutter button. Smart Auto mode uses Scene Detection
Technology to determine the shooting scene by analysing subject brightness, contrast, distance and overall hue. Smart Auto can detect 32 different scenes. This enables any user, without any knowledge of camera settings, to take great quality photos.
Face Detection Technology
Face Detection Technology makes it easier than ever to produce superb people shots.
• Face Detection AF – Sets the focus for the faces in your people shots – not just the closest subject
• Face Detection AE – Optimises exposure for faces in all lighting conditions – useful for backlit scenes or indoor shooting
• Face Detection FE – Guards against washed-out faces when using the camera’s flash – perfect for close-up shots in restaurants, clubs or other dimly lit locations
• Face Detection WB – Optimises white balance for natural-looking skin tones which remain true to life regardless of skin colour and lighting conditions
• Red-Eye Correction – Automatically eliminates the unwanted effects of flash photography after the shot is taken. At the touch of a button in playback, natural-looking eyes can be instantly restored.
Smart Shutter mode uses Face Detection Technology to allow users to take both group shots and self-portraits more easily and in a more relaxed way. The shutter can be
triggered remotely in three different ways:
• Smile Detection – Triggers the shutter when the camera detects a smiling face within the frame.
• Wink Self-Timer – Triggers the shutter two seconds after the subject in the frame has winked, removing the need for a remote control.
• FaceSelf-Timer – Allows perfect group shots or self portraits by automatically triggering the shutter two seconds after a new face has entered the frame.
Creative shooting modes: Additional shooting modes make it easier to capture high-quality, creative shots. These modes include:
• Movie Digest – Movie Digest captures a 4-second video clip in 720p HD quality before the shutter is released to capture a photo. It then joins all the clips together from the same day into a single movie to give you an alternative way to view the story behind the day’s action or share a bonus reel with friends.
• iFrame Movies – The Apple®1 iFrame video format is a computer-friendly video format designed to dramatically simplify the process of working with video recorded using the camera. With iFrame, the video in the camera is in the same format in which users will edit, so importing video is fast. Users will be able to
start editing and sharing their movies right away across multiple platforms and devices. Because it’s based on standard technologies such as H.264, AAC, MP4 and QuickTime, iFrame can be used with PC and MAC applications.
GPS tagging and low energy consumption GPS Logger function
GPS allows users to tag photos and videos with the location they were taken, and then use popular applications to pinpoint the location of the shot. Users can also record the route they have been following during their journey – the camera uses the GPS to track the location of the camera at regular intervals. The route is saved on the SD card and with the Canon Map Utility software (included), users can display their path or use applications such as Google Earth to share their route. Using a new advanced GPS module, with fast location acquisition and low energy consumption, it is now possible to use the GPS Logger for more than 48 hours from a single battery charge. 1 Apple is a trademark of Apple Inc.
Canon Powershot D20 Press Release:
Canon Inc, Press Release: Canon is proud to announce the rugged and powerful PowerShot D20 – engineered to be a part of the adventure and capture exceptional images and Full HD (1080p) video when living life to the extreme. Housing advanced Canon imaging technology in a robust and sporty body, the PowerShot D20 is waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof and dustproof – ideal for hurtling down the rapids or conquering a mountain and bringing back the photos to prove it.
The PowerShot D20 is packed full of versatile technology including the advanced HS System, designed to produce fantastic picture quality, even in challenging low-light conditions. Sliding easily into a rucksack or attached to a carabiner, the PowerShot D20 is compact, lightweight and built to withstand the rigours of any adventure – freeing users to push themselves to the limits without worrying about their camera coping with the ride.
Canon-quality with every shot
The heart of the PowerShot D20 is powered by Canon’s HS System, combining a 12.1 Megapixel, high-sensitivity CMOS sensor with the DIGIC 4 image processor for high-quality performance in every situation – particularly in low-light situations.
Whether exploring the underwater beauty of an exotic cove or standing on top of the world after a mountain trek, glorious scenic vistas can be captured in their entirety thanks to the high-quality 28mm wide-angle Canon lens, with 5x zoom to bring users closer to the action. For rock-steady videos and crisp stills even in challenging shooting conditions, Intelligent IS automatically analyses the scene and selects the optimum settings for the optical Image Stabilizer from seven different modes. For example, when filming movies off the beaten trail, Dynamic IS mode compensates for both hand shake and movement. Panning IS mode is perfect when shooting a flock of birds crossing the scene, ensuring the IS system stabilises in only one direction, while Macro IS mode is perfect for shooting the stunning detail of a starfish on a coral reef.
Breathe new life into shooting beneath the waves and capture the rare sights and close-up detail with the special Underwater Macro mode, combined with Quick AF mode to ensure rapid and accurate focus. The accuracy of Underwater White Balance is enhanced and also offers quick adjustment so that users can shoot the depths with beautiful natural colours. Allowing intrepid travellers to push the limits even further and dive into a new world, the optional WP-DC45 waterproof case with external flash support enables the PowerShot D20 to capture rare sights at depths down to 40m.
Handheld Night Scene mode means users can shoot dark scenes with confidence. It captures a series of high-speed shots and combines them into one crisp, well-exposed image. Giving more freedom for users to be creative, Super Slow Motion Movie mode can add tension and draw out the suspense in fast-paced events.
Ready to go whenever and wherever you may be
Rugged enough to brave the elements, the PowerShot D20 is waterproof to depths down to 10m, and can withstand freezing temperatures down to -10°C. Active Display technology also allows users to control some camera functions by tapping the camera body, making it easier to use when wearing gloves. Built to last, the PowerShot D20 is also shockproof from drops up to 1.5m and environmentally sealed against sand and dust to protect the advanced imaging technology inside.
Those who wish to blaze a trail and map out the adventure for others to follow can use GPS tagging and the low energy consumption GPS Logger feature. These can be used to tag images with location data or track routes and share discoveries easily using the supplied Map Utility software and through Google Earth. Retelling the story behind a stunning shot is now even easier with Movie Digest mode creating a ‘making-of’ film reel for a day’s images. When engaged, this mode films the last 4 seconds before each photo is taken in 720p HD resolution and combines all the clips from that day to create a movie that allows users to document their experiences in a new and exciting way.
When things happen fast, the PowerShot D20 is always ready to go. The dedicated Movie Record button means users can switch instantly to Full HD 1080p movie quality and zero in on the action with the 5x optical zoom without missing a moment. Users can then relive the experience on a big screen thanks to the HDMI connection with CEC, allowing them to pause, rewind and replay any clip using the remote control of a compatible HDTV.
Easy to use, easy to explore
Even when the action is fast and furious, frame the scene perfectly with just a glance at the bright, vibrant 7.5 cm (3.0”) 460,000 dot PureColor II LCD screen with 4:3 aspect ratio. It’s also easier than ever to capture great images without needing extensive photography experience thanks to Canon’s enhanced Smart Auto feature which detects 32 different scenes, applying the best combination of camera settings to ensure every shot is well-exposed.
The PowerShot D20 features seven creative effects that can be applied to give every shot new impact, allowing photographers to explore the world and change how people view it. Landscapes offer the impression of a scale model with Miniature Effect or similar effects to those of a fish-eye lens can be applied to present a completely unique view of the world.
Accessories for adventure
The optional Accessory Kit includes Carabiner and Shoulder Straps to keep the camera handy when hiking or climbing, a special Neoprene Pouch and a Silicon Jacket for even more protection, as well as a Float to keep the camera at the surface when swimming, making the PowerShot D20 ready for many adventures.
Join the CANON iMAGE GATEWAY community
Owners of this new model can also join the newly updated CANON iMAGE GATEWAY, an online facility for sharing photos and video now providing up to 10 GB of personal storage capacity, perfect for storing many photos, even in full resolution. An easy interface allows users to search for images, create combined photo and movie Albums that can receive comments from friends, and to share Albums directly via email and Social Networking Sites.
PowerShot D20 – key features:
• Rugged camera; 12.1 MP HS System
• Water, shock, freeze and dustproof
• 28mm, 5x optical zoom; Intelligent IS
• 7.5 cm (3.0″) PureColor II LCD
• Full HD movies
• Smart Auto (32 scenes)
• Special movie modes
• Underwater functions
• Optional 40m Waterproof Case
Intelligent IS modes include: Normal IS, Panning IS, Macro IS, Dynamic IS, Powered IS, Dynamic & Macro IS, and Tripod Mode.
GPS use may be restricted in certain countries or regions. Use of GPS should comply with the laws and regulations of the country and area in which it is being operated, including any restriction on the use of electronics.
The low energy consumption GPS Logger can log for more than 48 hours
Google and Google Earth are trademarks of Google Inc.
Creative filters include: Fish-eye effect, Miniature effect, Miniature effect in Movie, Super Vivid, Poster effect, Toy Camera effect, Monochrome
Canon Powershot D20 Specifications
|Type||1/2.3 type back-illuminated CMOS|
|Effective Pixels||Approx. 12.1M|
|Colour Filter Type||Primary Colour|
|Processor||DIGIC 4 with iSAPS technology|
|Focal Range||5.0 – 25.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 28 – 140 mm)|
Digital Approx. 4.0x (with Digital Tele-Converter Approx. 1.5x or 2.0x and Safety Zoom¹).
Combined Approx. 20x
|Maximum f/number||f/3.9 – f/4.8|
|Construction||12 elements in 10 groups (2 UD lenses, 3 double-sided aspherical lens, 1 single-sided aspherical lenses)|
|Image Stabilization||Yes (lens shift-type), 2-stop. Intelligent IS|
AF System/ Points:
AiAF (Face Detection / 9-point), 1-point AF (fixed to centre)
Single, Continuous (only available in Auto mode), Servo AF/AE¹, Tracking AF
AF Point Selection: Normal, Small
|AF Lock||On/Off Selectable|
|AF Assist Beam||Yes|
|Closest Focusing Distance||1 cm (W) from front of lens in macro|
|Metering modes||Evaluative (linked to Face Detection AF frame), Centre-weighted average, Spot (Centre)|
|AE Lock||On/Off Selectable|
|Exposure Compensation||+/- 2 EV in 1/3 stop increments.|
i-Contrast for automatic dynamic range correction
|ISO sensitivity*||AUTO, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200|
|Shutter Speed||1 – 1/1600 sec. (factory default)|
15 – 1/1600 sec. (total range – varies by shooting mode)
|White Balance||Auto (including Face Detection WB), Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Underwater, Custom|
|Monitor||3-inch PureColor II LCD (TFT). Approx. 461,000 dots|
|Brightness||Adjustable to one of five levels. Quick-bright LCD|
|Flash Modes||Auto, Manual Flash On / Off, Slow Synchro|
|Slow Sync Speed||Yes. Fastest speed 1/1600 sec.|
|Flash Exposure Compensation||Face Detection FE, Smart Flash Exposure|
|Flash Exposure Lock||Yes|
|Built-in Flash Range||30 cm – 3.5 m (W) / 1.0 m – 3.0 m (T)|
|External Flash||Canon High Power Flash HF-DC1|
Canon High Power Flash HF-DC2
|Shooting Modes||Smart Auto (32 scenes detected), P, Movie Digest, Portrait, Smart Shutter (Smile, Wink Self-Timer, FaceSelf-Timer), Handheld Night Scene, Low Light (3.0MP), Fish-eye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Color Accent, Color Swap, Underwater, Underwater Macro, Snow, Fireworks, Long Shutter, Stitch Assist|
|Modes in Movie||Smart Auto (21 scenes detected), P, Portrait, Miniature Effect, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Color Accent, Color Swap, Underwater, Underwater Macro, Snow, Fireworks, iFrame Movie, Super Slow Motion Movie|
|Photo Effects||My Colors (My Colors Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Custom Color)|
|Drive modes||Single, Continuous, Self-Timer|
|Continuous Shooting||Approx. 1.9 shots/sec.(until memory card becomes full)¹²|
|Image Size||4:3 – (L) 4000 x 3000, (M1) 2816 x 2112, (M2) 1600 x 1200, (S) 640 x 480|
16:9 – (L) 4000 x 2248, (M1) 2816 x 1584, (M2) 1920 x 1080, (S) 640 x 360
3:2 – (L) 4000 x 2664, (M1) 2816 x 1880, (M2) 1600 x 1064, (S) 640 x 424
1:1 – (L) 2992 x 2992, (M1) 2112 x 2112, (M2) 1200 x 1200, (S) 480 x 480
Resize in playback (M2, S, XS)
*XS is half the length and width of S
|Movies||(Full HD) 1920 x 1080, 24 fps, (HD) 1280 x 720, 30 fps, (L) 640 x 480, 30 fps|
Super Slow Motion Movie (L) 640 x 480, 120fps, (M) 320 x 240, 240fps
Miniature Effect (HD, L) 6fps, 3fps, 1.5 fps
iFrame Movie (HD)
|Movie Length||((Full HD & HD) Up to 4 GB or 29 min. 59 sec.¹|
(L) Up to 4 GB or 1 hour²
(Super Slow Motion Movie) 30 sec.
|Still Image Type||JPEG compression, (Exif 2.3 [Exif Print] compliant) / Design rule for Camera File system, Digital Print Order Format [DPOF] Version 1.1 compliant|
|Movies||MOV [H.264 + Linear PCM (monaural)]|
|GPS Log||LOG [NMEA 0183 message format compliant¹]||Direct Print||Canon SELPHY Compact Photo Printers and Canon Inkjet Printers supporting PictBridge (ID Photo Print, Fixed Size Print and Movie Print supported on SELPHY CP & ES printers only)|
|GPS||Yes¹, GPS tagging, GPS Logger, automatic time update|
|Red-Eye Correction||Yes, during shooting and playback|
|My Camera / My Menu||Start-up image and camera sounds customisation|
|My Category||Image tagging feature|
|Intelligent Orientation Sensor||Yes|
|Playback zoom||Approx. 2x – 10x|
|Self Timer||Approx. 2 or 10 sec. or Custom|
|Menu Languages||English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, Chinese (traditional), Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Thai, Arabic, Ukrainian, Romanian, Farsi, Malaysian,Indonesian, Vietnamese|
|Computer||Hi-Speed USB (MTP, PTP) dedicated connector (Mini-B compatible)|
|Other||HDMI Mini Connector (HDMI-CEC compatible), A/V output (PAL/NTSC)|
|Memory Card Type||SD, SDHC, SDXC|
|Software Browsing & Printing||ImageBrowser EX|
|Other||PhotoStitch, Map Utility|
|Battery type||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery NB-6L (battery and charger supplied)|
|Battery life||Approx. 280 shots¹ (Measured with GPS features off)|
Approx. 300 min. playback
More than 48 hours using only GPS Logger
|A/C Power Supply||Optional, AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC40|
|Optional Accessories||Soft Case DCC-550|
Accessory Kit includes: Shoulder Strap, Carabiner Strap, special Neoprene Pouch, Float, Silicon Jacket.
(optional straps are not designed for underwater use)
Waterproof Case (40m) WP-DC45 [with attachment for underwater external flash]
|Operating Environment||‘-10 – 40 °C, 10 – 90% humidity|
Waterproof to 10m (IEC/JIS IP Protection Rating IPX8 equivalent)
Dustproof (IEC/JIS IP Protection Rating IP6X equivalent)
Shockproof to 1.5m drop¹
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||112.3 x 70.8 x 28.0 mm|
|Weight||Approx. 228 g (including battery/batteries and memory card)|
Category: Compact Cameras